Thespirit of this prestigious Grand Cru was forged over three centuries. During the reign of Henri III, Beychevelle was the fief of the Dukes of Épernon, including the first of that name, Jean-Louis Nogaret de La Valette, an admiral in the French navy. According to the legend, ships passing in front of his Château lowered their sails as a sign of allegiance to this powerful man. In fact, the name Beychevelle comes from the Old French “Baisse-Voile”, meaning “lowered sails”, as reflected in the château’s emblem. This depicts a ship with a griffin – the guardian of Dionysos’ wine crater in Greek mythology – on the prow.
Built in the 17th century and reconstructed by Marquis de Brassier in 1757, “the Versailles of the Médoc” was restored to its original splendour in the late 20th century. The elegance of Beychevelle’s architecture is reflected in its refined, well-balanced wine served at prestigious tables around the world.
The management is also very respectful of the environment, and the estate has been certified for sustainable viticulture by Terra Vitis.
© photos : www.ugcb.net