Classified as fifth Grand Cru in 1855, Château d’Armailhac, a neighbour of Mouton Rothschild in Pauillac, covers 69 hectares of vines planted with the finest premium grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.
Aged in oak barrels, the wine combines finesse, power and the superb tannin of a fine Pauillac. Widely recognized for the quality of its wine, Château d’Armailhac benefits from centuries of innovations such as those described by Armand d’Armailhacq in his 1867 treatise entitled La Culture des vignes, de la Vinification et des vins dans le Médoc. (Vines, Vinification and Wines in the Médoc)
In 1933, Baron Philippe de Rothschild acquired this estate – also well-known for its grounds (among the most beautiful in the Médoc), front courtyard, and château – which had belonged to the d’Armailhacq family.
Known as Mouton d’Armailhacq between 1956 and 1989, the château was then successively named Mouton Baronne Philippe and Mouton Baron Philippe. However, since 1989, Baronne Philippine de Rothschild has revived the historic link with the original owner by renaming the property Château d’Armailhac.
© photos : www.ugcb.net