In the early 18th century, the Pauillac surroundings became a grape cultivation area upon the impulsion of the owners of Lafite. The Milon wines were considered as additional incomes for Lafite’s owners and became Château Lafite’s second wine. The 1855 classification recognized the quality of Duhart-Milon’s terroir by ranking it as the only 4th Grand Cru wine of Pauillac. Château Duhart-Milon was then one of largest Pauillac property with around 50 hectares.
In 1937, the result of successive inheritances led to the sale of the domain. The property went through five different owners in just 25 years and the splitting up of the vineyards caused a speedy decline which was only made worse by the severe frost of 1956. The quality of the Château’s wines declined considerably until the Rothschild family purchased the property in 1962. Duhart-Milon then consisted of 110 hectares of which only 17 hectares were vines. Major construction projects were then undertaken in the vineyard: draining, uprooting and replanting as well as purchasing of adjacent plots. New cellar and vat rooms were installed in Pauillac. From 1973 to 2001 the vineyard surface increased from 42 ha to 71 ha.
Today, the new vines are all mature and the renovation of the cellar adds a finishing touch to a remarkable 40-year effort that has restored Château Duhart-Milon to its Médoc 4th Grand Cru rank.