Château Gruaud Larose
Château Gruaud Larose is named after the two people who created the estate. In 1725, Abbot Gruaud bought 50 hectares of land and planted vines there. His nephew, Chevalier de Larose, inherited the property in 1781 and the vineyard grew to 80 hectares under his ownership. As both owners had no heirs, Gruaud Larose was jointly purchased by two families during an auction sale in 1812. However, their relations soured and the vineyard was divided into two parts in 1865. In 1934, the Cordier family reunited the estate.
Château Gruaud Larose has been within the Merlaut family since 1997. The current owners have introduced sustainable development and organic farming methods in the vineyard. The terroir consists of slopes of deep Garonne gravel from the Quaternary Period (about 700,000 years ago) where Cabernet Sauvignon is king – as befits a wine whose motto is “The King of Wines and the Wine of Kings”.
Château Gruaud Larose is one of the most historic estates in the Médoc. Its size has hardly changed through the centuries and today, more than ever, it deserves its second Grand Cru status in the 1855 classification.
© photos : www.ugcb.net