Château Latour

Château Latour

We

start hearing about Château Latour at the end of the XVIIth century when it becomes the property of the family de Segur. This is especially under the management of Nicolas-Alexandre Marquis de Segur nicknamed the Prince of vineyards by Louis XV that from 1718, the property expands through the acquisition of Mouton and Calon. At the death of the Marquis in 1755, the family cannot keep the entire domain.
It will take some time to the Château to find its outline and begin to acquire an international reputation. It is due in part to Thomas Jefferson, US ambassador to the court of Versailles and future president who came in 1787 to the Château to get confirmation of its rising reputation. Château Latour was bought in 1993 by François Pinault (PPR) while going through a difficult phase. It is therefore a real reward to see this wine to be consider again as as a myth. The Château is managed under a reasoned and environmentally friendly philosophy including the control of the products used. Potential threats to the vine are evaluated and use of biological methods of crop protection is the norm. No chemical weed killer is used, organic fertilizers are preferred. In the same spirit, the horse was reintroduced in the vines in 2008. Finally, new biodynamic practices are being tested on ten hectares of L’Enclos with the possibility to extend them to the entire vineyard in a near future.
In a few years the total renovation of the cellars was undertaken, the fermenting room, wine-making systems and storage areas. A new tasting room as also been built.

Offre U'Winevest : Premiers Crus