Château Mouton Rothschild
ChâteauMouton Rothschild, a Premier Cru Classé, is one of the world’s greatest wines. Owned by Baroness Philippine de Rothschild, the only child of the legendary Baron Philippe, Château Mouton Rothschild has 84 hectares of vines in Pauillac, consisting of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, and 3% Cabernet Franc. The terroir is outstanding, with well-drained soil and great sun exposure.
The greatest care and attention are lavished on Mouton Rothschild at every step of the way, from the vine to the bottle, combining both time immemorial methods and state-of-the-art techniques: hand picking, ageing in new oak barrels, etc.
In 1853, Baron Nathaniel de Rothschild, from the English branch of the famous banking family, acquired Château Brane-Mouton, which he renamed Mouton Rothschild.
In 1922, his great-grandson, Baron Philippe de Rothschild (1902-1988), decided to take over management of the estate. He oversaw winemaking there for some sixty-five years, leaving a strong mark on the estate and introducing many innovations.
He bottled the entire 1924 vintage at the château, a revolutionary practice at the time.
In 1926, he built the famous grand chai (100 metres long), one of the major attractions during a visit to Mouton.
1945, the year the Second World War ended, marked the beginning of a painting by a famous artist on the label of every vintage of Mouton.
Located next to the grand chai and inaugurated in 1962, a Museum of Wine in Art, displaying three millennia of works of art revolving around the theme of wines and vines, attracts thousands of visitors.
In 1991, Aile d’Argent, a white wine made from 4 hectares of vines (57% Sauvignon Blanc, 42% Sémillon, and 1% Muscadelle) was made for the first time.
© photos : www.ugcb.net